Toward a System Where Workforce Planning, Education and Practice are Designed around Patients, Populations and Communities, Not Professions.
Presentation at Blending the Blues: A Collaboration with IPE4UNC and Duke AHEAD
- Collaboration between Brandt and Fraher grew from a desire to forge a new, joint vision for the future
- Current workforce planning approaches not fit for purpose to meet future challenges, and the field of IPE faces its own challenges
- New Zealand is mental model for redesigning workforce, practice, and education around the patient, not professions
- New Zealand’s model may not seem applicable, but cost, quality, technology, and focus on “consumer” pressures are driving similar reforms in the US, with or without the ACA or a replacement
- This shift will require moving from “old school” to “new school” approaches in workforce planning and IPE
- We believe the way forward for our fields is together